Mold is a form of fungi and there are approximately 30,000 species of mold. As a micro-organism, they can take on any shape and they can form indoors or outdoors. Indoor mold may pose serious health risks as they release microscopic spores into the surrounding environment and can cause respiratory problems, allergic reactions and illnesses.
Mold require moisture to grow and they can form on any surface with sufficient moisture.
Myths about Mold (click myth to view)
NOT TRUE! Many times people use bleach or vinegar to wipe away visible mold on their walls only to find that the mold grows again. They think that their chemical was not strong enough so they keep trying to find the “right chemical”. However, this will not work. Mold spores are microscopic and are still in the surrounding air. When you wipe the visible mold, you also release more mold spores into the air. At JetSolutions, our treatment includes clearing the visible mold on your walls as well as treating the mold spores in your air, effectively getting rid of your in-house mold population.
NOT TRUE! Painting over mold is one of the most common methods to hide mold but that’s all it does, covering the mold. It does not remediate the problem. If you do enough research, you will also learn that some mold killing paints or mold resistant paints are not as effective as they claim to be. You must always get rid of the mold properly first before any painting.
NOT TRUE! Mold growth comes in relation to the amount of moisture in the air. Using “Thirsty Hippos” is correct conceptually but these are meant for mild levels of moisture. They may help to prevent mold for a while, but eventually, you would probably need to invest in a strong dehumidifier. At JetSolutions, we once treated a walk-in wardrobe that had 13 units of “Thirsty Hippos” and was still infested with mold!
NOT TRUE! Organic material like wood and drywalls have higher chances of mold growth because mold feeds on organic material. However, it is not uncommon to see mold growing on concrete walls or even glass windows because mold can grow on any surface with sufficient moisture. One of the most common places for such growth is the bathroom where visible mold can be seen on the concrete ceiling and windows due to moisture from heated warm baths and showers.